Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Sprung

One of the boys in my class is a child who many would say "marches to the beat of a different drum." He's just a little different. I can sometimes see in his eyes that he isn't at that moment in my classroom, but in another world altogether. He is very bright and enthusiastic about learning, though, and always raises his hand to answer questions. But he gets very agitated if he doesn't get to give his answer. And often says that he "never" gets to answer even though I usually try to include everyone sometime in each lesson.

Today in chapel, this question was asked, "What are some ways we can spend our time?" Some of the answers were playing baseball, reading the Bible, skateboarding, playing computer or video games, swimming, and praising God. This child was raising his hand and as more answers were given, he began waving his hand and making little noises trying to get called on. He was quite frantic by the end of the question time and kept his hand raised even after we moved on to the Bible verse. Actually, the principal had to finally tell him to put his hand down, which brought on the tears since he didn't get to give his answer. So on the way back to class, I asked him what his answer was. The answer, that he was so determined to share with the whole school about how he would spend his time was, "Spring is almost gonna sprung."

And all I could do was smile and think, "I hope so."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! to your "I hope so" and also to his prayers about the weather forecast.

Katrina said...

Oh, please, let him be right! I'm wondering how the answer fits the question, though--perhaps he's planning to do his part to help it "sprung" by jumping around or something?