Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Heaters and ovens and microwaves, Oh My

A week and a half ago, one of the heaters in the living room stopped working. Then last Wednesday, the element in my oven went out halfway through cooking a pizza. Then Sunday night my microwave quit. No big deal about the heater. The working one keeps us warm. And the oven? Besides pizza what do I need it for? But the microwave? How did our grandmothers survive without one? So early Monday morning I called Sears to see what to do about it. Luckily we bought the extended warranty and it's still covered. So I was given my agreement number and told to take it to our nearest Sears store for a replacement. Cool. I can do that. So I took it to Sears, waited for a while to be helped, waited for another while for the girl to figure out what was going on, waited another while when she called the warranty place, and was then told that my microwave had to be sent away to see if it could be fixed or if it should be replaced depending on the cost effectiveness of the repair. Wait a minute. Sent away? Repaired? So I sighed a little, didn't say what I was thinking, and took my broken microwave to receiving to schedule a repair. And I waited. The guy finally came out and told me that they had to send it to Seattle and that they'd let me know the verdict. It should be back by February 3rd. "So how am I supposed to cook popcorn for the next 2 and a half weeks," I asked. He didn't think that was nearly as funny as I did. Maybe he thought I was serious. He probably gets yelled at a lot. But not having a microwave for 2 weeks? If that's the worst thing that happens to me this week I'll be happy. And if they do end up sending it back from Seattle, do you think I could get them to fill it with Ivar's fish and chips? That would make me double happy.

So in over thinking (like I usually do) this whole appliance failure thing, I think I've learned a lesson. I've been a little angry at God lately and let him know it. Maybe he's showing me, somehow, that I should let it go. Give it to him. He takes such good care of me. And he loves me. And everything will be okay if I just wait. Just like I have to wait for my tea water to heat up in a kettle on the stove.

3 comments:

kathy said...

i know i couldn't go 2 1/2 weeks without my microwave. you can't heat up a rice bag on the stove.

Ada said...

you need to be heating up your water in the teapot anyway.
it is dangerous to heat up water in the microwave. air pockets could form or something. danger.

MarmiteToasty said...

see, Im the opposite, I could easily go without our microwave, I usually only use to to part cook jacket spuds before shoving them in the oven, but the oven I so could never do without.... :)

oh, and marmite, I couldnt ever do without marmite lol

x