Saturday, October 10, 2009

Golden--10 Things Special Edition

10 things about Josh on his golden birthday (turning 10 on the 10th). (He is even turning 10 on the 10th day of the 10th month and will be 10 until 10/10/10.)
Josh on his birthday present...a motorcycle!

1. Josh was born at 11:25am by c-section after 32 hours of labor. He was facing up, which apparently doesn't work so well in the whole baby delivery thing. I'm not sure why they didn't figure it out sooner. It wasn't really good to hear my doctor say, after she had cut me open, "Oh, well there's the problem."

2. He weighed 7lb. 3oz. and was 20.5 inches long. That same doctor had told me he would be at least 9 pounds. I really should have found a new doctor before Adam was born.

3. He had tons of long, black hair that stood up all over the place. I loved it! He still has crazy hair with lots of cowlicks. And I still love it.

4. He slept a lot and ate a lot, but only cried a little. But for a long time he would only sleep in my arms. And I've discovered, after two more kids, that he didn't eat so much as nursed.

5. He has always been smart. He was always ahead of the "what they should be doing" charts. And he is still a smart kid in and out of the classroom.

6. He is sweet. He loves with his whole heart and is compassionate toward those he loves. He can read the feelings of others and knows just when someone needs a hug or kind word.

7. He is stubborn. He thinks his way is the right way and will fight for it to the end. Which is both good and bad. I pray that it will cause him to be a good leader, but not cause hardship in his life as he grows.

8. He loves fishing, camping, music, watching tv, chicken and dumplings, being with his friends, baseball, having his back scratched, chocolate milk, playing card games, laughing, and motorcycles. And he still likes to snuggle with his mommy.

9. He doesn't like roller coasters, not getting his way, unfairness, homework, corn off the cob, going shopping, haircuts, or anything to do with medical procedures (dental work, shots, etc.).

10. He has amazed me every day for the last 3,650 days. He taught me how to be a mommy. He taught me what love really is. He teaches me every day that he (and his sister and brother) are my purpose for being on this earth. I loved him on the day he was born 10 years ago. I have loved him every day since. And I love him today.

Bonus: Joshua was not one of the names we had picked out for him when we went to the hospital. Our boy names were Samuel (which is his middle name) and Douglas (which is Adam's middle name after my dad). Our girl names were Megan and Katelyn (which I totally wouldn't choose for a girl now...which I guess is obvious since Julianna's name is Julianna). He was named on the evening of the 11th after a day and a half of getting to know him. (Yes, it really was the next day. Don't believe those who like to exaggerate the length of time that my first child was nameless.) Joshua has turned out to be the perfect name for him. But these days he likes to be called Josh, not Joshua.

Happy birthday, Josh.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Happy Golden Birthday, Josh! You are a gift, both to your family and to all of us who know you!

Ada said...

Happy Happy Golden Birthday Josh! We love you and hope its the best.

ps...rad bike!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Josh! Have fun enjoying the double digits!

MarmiteToasty said...

Happy belated birthday wishes Josh.... wow you have a motorbike for your birthday :) you lucky boy....

x