Monday, June 11, 2007

Grease Is The Word

I was flipping channels this weekend when I saw that "Grease" was showing on VH1. Whenever I see it on tv, I have to watch it (even though it sits on the shelf as part of my video collection). The scene I happened upon was the dance at Rydell High that is being broadcast on television. There is a part where the kids are doing a dance that has the boys in one line and the girls in one line and the couples, one at a time, dance between them before taking their places back at the end of the line. All of a sudden, watching this scene, made me remember a dance that I had been a part of in high school. The only school dance I went to was my senior prom. But as a member of jazz choir, I once performed at a benefit dance and after the performance we stayed and danced. I don't even remember where it was or what it was for, but I remember dancing down the line just as the Rydell students were doing. I remember who I danced with and can see it in my head like it was yesterday. I remember having such a good time and being happy and laughing with my friends. Isn't it funny how the brain works? I hadn't thought about that night in such a long time. But I'm so glad that the memory was triggered by Danny and Sandy.

Jazz choir was one of my favorite high school experiences. I loved my teacher and still count her as a great blessing in my life. I loved the music. It was always so much fun to sing those great jazzy tunes. I loved my choir mates. Being such a small group, we got to know each other and were friends in and out of class. I loved being part of the select group of students. We had to audition and being chosen my junior year was quite a boost for my self esteem. And I love the memories of traveling to performances and competitions. Especially the memory of singing for our supper at Pizza Hut on one such trip. I don't think I would want to be in high school again, but if I could just go to choir class and skip p.e. and geometry, I would at least consider it. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that refresher course in geometry just might come in handy for next fall. Maybe one of our upcoming girls' nights should include us dressing up 50's style and going to a malt shop! It's also a great idea for the auction! Is it too late to change the theme?

Katrina said...

What great memories! I LOVED school dances--I wish we had a grown up equivalent (and that our husbands would be as eager to take us to them as those high school boys were!)

Jen said...

Kathy, you are in charge. You can change the theme if you want to. (Or we can use it for the next one if this one doesn't send us running!) And no talk about next year until at least August. :)

Katrina, I'm still surprised that Arrty and I went to the prom. It was kind of out of character for us. We had a great time though. And he looked great in his tux! I'll bring the pictures on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Hey! That's a great idea, we should all bring our prom pictures on Saturday and share them over appetizers!

Katrina said...

That IS a great idea! I would love to see you guys' prom photos. Mine is buried in a box somewhere out in storage--I'll have to see how hard it is to find. If worse comes to worse, I'll just share my prom stories. :)