Thursday, June 21, 2007

Me and My Shadow

Yesterday was one of those days. One of those days when I was very much looking forward to a few minutes of peace wherever I could get it. So when my husband got home from work and told me that he was not going to Bible class (he's been working overtime and the long days keep him from doing much after work), I thought I might just get those few minutes. So I fed my family and got myself ready to go. I was just getting ready to walk out the door when Adam decided that he wanted to go with me. What am I going to say? No, you can't go to Bible class. I don't think so. So Adam, aka "My Shadow," quickly got ready to go with me. I knew that my plan had been changed. And I was right. He talked all...the way...to church. He asked questions that I knew he knew the answers to. He talked about what had happened that day. He talked about the things we passed on the way. He just talked. So much for peace. At church he went to his class and I went to mine. Ahh, 60 minutes of relative peace. I didn't have to get anybody milk. I didn't have to answer any silly questions. I didn't have to break up any fights. I enjoyed every second of it.

I had also planned to go to Home Depot to buy plants after class. So with Adam in tow, I went. He is very much interested in anything scientific and so was very excited to look at all the flowers and plants with me. The fact that I let him choose some to plant absolutely made his day. I asked his opinion and we discussed which would look good together. He was interested in everything and didn't get at all bored even though we were there for almost an hour. So this trip that I had intended to make solo turned into a very nice duet. I truly enjoyed shopping for plants with my youngest son.

On the way home, we talked about our trip to the store and he asked me why there were so many kinds of flowers. The teacher in me said, "Why do you think there are?" He said, "So that we have lots of pretty things to look at." Good answer. Then I told him that I thought God had a very good imagination to think up so many wonderful plants. "Yeah," he said, "He's a cool God." Yes he is. And not only because of the plants, but even more because of the people he gives us to share their beauty with. And the times that he helps us realize that moments of peace aren't always found alone.

2 comments:

Amy said...

great post! And so true! My house is all too quiet now, I miss having a companion to tag along with me.

Katrina said...

I loved this line: "So this trip that I had intended to make solo turned into a very nice duet."

You have such a beautiful and grace-filled way of looking at things, Jen! You see blessings everywhere, and remind me to see them, too. You make me want to be a better mom! :D

Great post!