Thursday, June 14, 2007

Remembering

Last night I went to the basement in search of my prom pictures to take to girl's night out on Saturday. I knew about where they were. The first place I looked was with my Coeur d' Alene High School yearbooks (1987-1990). The pictures weren't there, but whenever I touch my yearbooks at least an hour of looking at pictures, reading notes, and reminiscing occurs. I was flipping through, smiling at the big hair of the 80's when I came across some newspaper clippings. They were from the CDA Press dated January 26, 2002. It was the story of Tory Kelsey. He was killed in a gun accident in California while serving in the Marines. I knew Tory. I was in choir with him and picked him up every morning at 6:45 to drive him to jazz choir class. Some mornings he was fully dressed, but most of the time he came out carrying shoes or a shirt or some other article of clothing. Tory was one of those kids who fit in with every group. Everyone loved him and his smile could light up a room. And he was cute. He came to CHS in our junior year and the first day he walked into choir class all the girls froze. We were used to choir geeks (no offense, I was one, too), so this boy who was absolutely cool and gorgeous was a breath of fresh air. And he could sing. Our choir concert audiences grew that year simply because there were so many more 16 year old girls coming just to see Tory. He was fun and funny and sweet and smart.

It's hard when you're 19 and someone your age dies. It is especially hard when that death was absolutely preventable. And it's even harder when the person who died could have changed the world. Our choir teacher called a bunch of us to sing at Tory's funeral. We gathered in our choir room at CHS for practice. I guess when you enter the military you kind of plan your funeral. Tory had chosen "Nights in White Satin" and "Old Irish Blessing" as the songs he wanted sung. So that's what we did. Through tears and shared memories we learned the songs. And later that week, we sang them at his funeral. The night before the funeral, a friend and I went to the viewing at the funeral home. There he was, lying in a casket in his Marine uniform. I kept expecting him to sit up and smile. But he didn't. I realized then that he was really gone. The funeral was hard. It always is I guess. But he was 19. He hadn't really lived. He never got married or had children or did all the things that I know he would have wanted to do. Tory is 19 forever.

Also with the newspaper clippings, I found a copy of a letter he had written to our choir teacher. Here is what he wrote in closing his letter to her.

But one last thing I've learned. Music is the last form of magic man has to himself. Think about it. Nature makes music: birds, insects, animals, waterfalls, rain, thunder, whales, and just life in general. Music holds the key to peace, especially in one's own soul. You, ma'am, are a magician and teacher of magic. You teach the children and they learn the beauty. Music can make us happy, sad, strong and invincible or cowardly, depending on how it is played. That is powerful magic. Teach on and change the world.

Irish Blessing and Love,
Tory L. Kelsey
LCpl./USMC
Tenor

Tory,
May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. The sun shine warm upon your face. The rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand.
Love,
Jen

5 comments:

Amy said...

what a great remembrance, and what a great note he wrote to his teacher. Teachers do not get the thanks they deserve. I would imagine that letter is a real treasure for her.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing - it's amazing what our memories can hold for us - and for how long.

Anonymous said...

I was searching the internet and just happened to Google his name. Tory was a good friend of mine; I was away at college when my mother called and told me the news of his death. I was devestated. I still think about him often and the fun times we may have shared together all these years since. I miss him still. Thanks for sharing your memory. Very special.

Matt said...

Tory and I beat a video game together one Saturday in autumn, we saved that little world and made rainbows come out of the TV, puffed our chests out because we were heroes. :) We made big plans for the winter, we were going to get-up in ski masks and drive around shoveling people's driveways anonymously... but that didn't happen. I think of this incredible, awesome dude very often still 20 years later, thanks for giving him a real web presence - it's nice that his name comes up on a search.

Unknown said...

I met Tory while going to aviation electrician school in Millington, Tennessee in 1991. He showed up at my barracks with his friend Jason and we became instant friends. I missed him greatly with he left Memphis and was stationed in El Toro. I still have the letter he wrote me from there, telling me he missed me and he hoped I got stationed in San Diego, so I would be near and that I would love it there. I did get stationed in San Diego, it was bittersweet, I thought of all the good times we would have had together. Tory was a beautiful soul, even though I only knew him a short time, I will never forget him.