Monday, June 18, 2007

Who Needs the Maytag Man?

My refrigerator quit working. I noticed it about a week ago when the milk wasn't as cold as it should have been. We have a friend who is a refrigerator guy, so we called him. He told us to take everything out and leave the doors open to let it defrost, then see if it would work. And it did. For about 2 days. Then it happened again. So I called him back this morning and he said we needed to replace the defrost timer. Arrty is at work, so I began my search for the defective part. It is not shown in any of the paperwork that came with the fridge. So I went to the Frigidaire website. I found a picture of what the defrost timer looks like, but still no help on where to find it. Back and forth to the kitchen pulling off panels and searching. Then finally I went to Ask.com. "Where is the defrost timer on a refrigerator?" It took me to a page about do-it-yourself repairs and there it was. Not only did it tell me exactly where to find it, but how to take it off and replace it. In case you ever need to know, the defrost timer on a refrigerator is underneath the fridge on the left hand side. I removed it and am shortly on my way to get a replacement. I love it when I am able to do handy things like that. (But glad that I have a husband who usually does those things so that I don't have to.)

1 comment:

Amy said...

my stove's door latch won't work, (so it won't self-clean) and I know that I could do the same if I just took the time, I just haven't. Maybe when I get sick of the smoke alarm going off every time I cook I'll take the time to figure out how to replace the latch?

Maybe.

Maybe not.