Saturday, December 26, 2009

Week In Review

There hasn't been much time for blogging these last few days. So much festivity, you know. So I thought I'd catch you up on the mitzvahing.

Monday I went shopping for last minute Christmas stuff. I decided before I went to give to all my fellow shoppers politeness and to all those working in the stores a cheerful "Merry Christmas."

Tuesday I spent all day at home making Christmas gifts. The adults in our family were giving homemade gifts to each other this year, so part of my gift was to give time to make special things for each person.

Wednesday I was back in town to get more supplies after I ran out Tuesday night. And it was my dad's day to be mitzvahed. I picked him up from work at lunch time and took him to Panda Express. We sat in the sun and ate and visited. These lunches out with my favorite people have been my favorite mitzvahs.

Thursday we headed into town for Christmas Eve at mom and dad's house. On the way we dropped off Mrs. T's Christmas gift from the boys since their very repentant mother forgot on the last day of school. And then we dropped off two movies that we had rented the night before. (G-Force, which the boys seemed to enjoy but I was too busy to watch, and Julie and Julia, which I loved.) Then we went to the post office because the boys' Christmas gift was guaranteed to be there. It wasn't. So I gave the lady behind the counter a break since it wasn't her fault. Which then led to a quick stop at Target to replace the unarriving gifts since that was all we were getting them this year. (Now I have to go to Walmart next week to return the other ones that are at the post office today.)

Friday I gave a lot of things. Toys and clothes to the kids. Homemade jam (strawberry, blackberry, and blueberry) to all the grown ups. Homemade jerky to the guys and handmade cards to the girls. Plus spiced nuts to dad, personalized canning labels to mom and personalized recipe cards to my sister. And rice bags to everyone. But my mitzvah on Christmas day was to give to Jesus my attention and my heart. It's his birthday after all. He should get my best gift of all.

And that brings us to today. Today I am giving my family the day. I will watch whatever movies they want to watch. I will play whatever games they want to play. I will cook whatever they want to eat. And I will enjoy it with them. They are why I'm here. They are my purpose in this life.

So there you have it. My first week of Christmas vacation. One more glorious, unbusy, much needed week to go.

No comments: