Thursday, November 19, 2009

10 Things Thursday

10 things on our Thanksgiving menu...

1. turkey (pretty much your run of the mill turkey...except since mom makes it, it's extra good. And sometimes dad smokes one, too.)
2. mashed potatoes (again mom's recipe...with NO miracle whip)
3. gravy (my sister has perfected gravy...mmm gravy)
4. dressing (kind of like stuffing only baked in a casserole and cut into squares to serve)
5. corn (the corn, too, has been perfected by Ada over the years. It's cream style with cheese...and it is so delicious.)
6. pea salad (mine is made special without onions. Thanks, mom.)
7. sweet potatoes* (that yummy sweet potato casserole with pecan topping...I wish I had some right now.)
8. pink stuff* (1 can cherry pie filling, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 1 can crushed pineapple, drained, and 1 16 oz. container of cool whip...easy and yummy)
9. bread (fresh baked at mom's Thanksgiving morning)
10. pumpkin pie* and various other desserts (cakes, pies, cookies, etc.)

Bonus: We are also having The First Annual F. Family Thanksgiving Cheese Off. We are all making cheese balls to see whose is the best. (But who really cares which is the best, we get to try all kinds of different cheese balls!)

*These are the things I am taking.

What is a must have at your Thanksgiving Feast?

4 comments:

Ada said...

Um, when you say "corn" it sounds boring and not half as delish as it really is. Let's include that there is cream and sugar and cheese in it and it rocks!

Also, pink stuff sounds a little weird...you should explain that is heavenly as well. Or maybe after all these years we should come up with a better name. hee hee

April said...

A new item came to our feast last year...corn casserole. It's delicious cream corn with jalapeno and other spicy deliciousness in it. Definitely will be on the menu from now on!
And apple pie. With ice cream. Always.

Unknown said...

Growing up we often had non-traditional Thanksgiving meals since my sister didn't like turkey and I wasn't a huge fan of ham. So we would have a compilation of foods we liked, like steak, fettuccine alfredo, shrimp cocktail, stuffed mushrooms etc. Traditional or not, my dad's fried stuffed mushrooms are a GREAT addition to any meal.

In college I went to my aunt and uncle's house in Texas for Thanksgiving every year and she had me be in charge of the sweet potato casserole. I had never had sweet potatoes before then, but now it's a staple for Thanksgiving!

Jen said...

Ada, I went back and added a little to my post. You're right, "corn" just doesn't do it justice!