Friday, November 09, 2007

Conferences

Today is parent/teacher conference day. It's always good to sit down with my students' parents one on one and discuss their child. Sometimes it's the only time I really get to see or talk to them. Even some kindergarten parents drop their kids off and pick them up without ever getting out of the car. And a few only step into my classroom a few times a year. So, even though conferences aren't my favorite part of teaching, they are a good thing for the students and the parents.

I have a few challenges in my class this year, both academic and behaviorally. But the good thing is that usually the parents know what's coming. They know their child, so when I tell them that they have trouble focusing or have been in trouble for hitting, it's no big surprise. But sometimes I will give a really good report to a parent and they are speechless. They look at the name on the report card just to make sure that we're talking about the same child. Some kids who are little angels at school apparently aren't at home.

So Monday starts a new quarter with new lessons and new things to learn. And a few new things for me to try to overcome those challenges. I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Ada said...

Me! Me! Me! I was that parent...the one who looks at the teacher like..."you do know who my child is, right?" He respects people and has a positive attitude? What? Now the kissing of the girls...that sounds just like my baby. By the way, his response to that inquiry after the conference..."but they were smooching on me!"

Jen said...

Ada, he is such a Flanagan! :)

MarmiteToasty said...

I have a couple of right off the wall nippers in my care, but for me they are angels lol..... they know the boundaries of what behaviour I will accept and they never cross it, yet the two of whom I speak are right aweful elsewhere, thats for their parents and in the clubs they belong to.....

One parent sat at the top of me stairs one day for an hour and observed her child and couldnt believe it was the same child, she had never seen him so kind and polite....... its all about boundaries, kids feel safe with boundaries......

x