Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

I have been looking forward to this day for weeks. It's not because of the parades or the football games or even the turkey dinner. It's because I know that I get to spend the day laughing and sharing with my favorite people. I know that when I walk into mom's warm, welcoming house this afternoon I will be hugged by those people and surrounded by the familiar smells of so many Thanksgivings before. I love tradition. And Thanksgiving is one of our most traditional holidays. I know that there will be story telling. I know that there will be laughter. I know that there will be two kinds of turkey (roasted and smoked) and mom's yummy dressing and pea salad and pumpkin pie. I know that dad will cut the turkey with the electric knife that they've had forever and that Arrty will stand ready to catch any pieces that fall onto the counter. I know that the boys will be excited and have to be told to settle down at least twice. I know that I will set the table and everyone will help in their own way. I know that the food will be delicious and that I will have seconds of mashed potatoes and gravy. I know that after dinner, we will sit down and look at the ads for tomorrow's big sales whether we intend to go shopping or not. I know that today is the day that the Christmas wish list goes up on mom's fridge for everyone to make their list.

And I know, without a doubt, that I will leave after several hours of this wonderfulness, with a full tummy and a full heart.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Jen! I hope your day was everything wonderful! Maybe I'll see you around at tomorrow's sales? (5 a.m. is when all the good stuff happens!)

Ada said...

And that it exactly how our day went. It was perfect. I cried all the way home because I was so thankful for our family and that we were all together. It was wonderful.

MarmiteToasty said...

Wish I could of joined ya...... any special holidays and its just me and me lads..... sometimes its hard, but we make the best of things, we have no choice lol

x