Saturday, November 10, 2007

Thanks

I remember when my boys were babies and were first learning to talk. As soon as they could say anything, we tried to get them to say "thank you." We even taught them baby signs before they could talk and they both used the one for thank you. I would remind them to, "Say thank you," if someone gave them a graham cracker or said they were the cutest thing they'd ever seen or when I picked up the toy they threw from the high chair for the 27th time. And then when they were two or three years old I'd remind some more, but every once in a while, they'd say it on their own. By the time they were four or five, they would almost always remember to say "thank you." And now it's just a given. It comes naturally. At the grocery story. At restaurants. And grandma's house. At school. Even to me. They say thank you when they should. All those reminders over the years have paid off. They both have pretty good manners.

As I thought about this, it reminded me of how God does the same thing for us. His word is full of thanksgiving scriptures. It's like he's telling us over and over, "Say thank you. Say thank you for what you have and who you are and what I've done. Say thank you to each other and to me." And I know that with me, he's had to remind me over and over. But as I've gotten older, his reminders haven't had to come so often. It comes naturally for me to look at my husband or my children and just feel this strong sense of gratitude. And sometimes with a quick prayer to heaven, I say "thank you." I couldn't fit the list of what I'm thankful for on this page. My life is so full of blessings, seen and unseen, that it would take me all day just to put them into words.

One of my favorite ways to pray is a "thank you prayer." It's when I say thank you to God. I don't ask for anything. I don't say anything but thank you and tell him just what I am grateful for. It's not as easy as it sounds. It is easy to say thank you, but there's always something that could follow. "Thank you for my sons. Could you please..." Then I remember. No requests today. Just thanks. This kind of prayer is also the longest. I never run out of things to thank God for. "Thank you for giving me all that I need. Thank you for saying that I'm beautiful in your sight. Thank you for picking me up for the 27th time."

And I know, now more than ever, that living a life of thanksgiving is the only way to live. And why wouldn't I? I'm going to heaven! And until then I can practice saying thank you for the day when I see the Father face to face, and with tears in my eyes, whisper, "Thank you."

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. --Psalm 18:1

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. --Psalm 100:4

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. --Philippians 4:6-7

2 comments:

Katrina said...

I hope this is going into Grace Notes, Jen. It's wonderful! We have soooo much to be thankful for! ("Good friends" is near the top of the list.) :)

Ada said...

Just what I needed today. Thank you. And I will vouch for your boys and their manners. I heard "thank yous" all Friday night and Saturday morning...about everything. The waffles, the bowling, the pizza, the ice cream, letting them stay, being the best aunt ever...thanks yous were present and plenty. You have done well.