Sunday, November 18, 2007

Not So Ordinary

My husband has been teaching a class on the life of Jesus on Sunday mornings at church. Today's class was about those who followed him, the twelve apostles and the early disciples. I have long found these men and women interesting. Especially the original 12 who were hand picked by Jesus to travel with him and learn during his ministry. I love the fact that they were ordinary men, from all walks of life, with all different personalities. I think this was very intentional by Christ. Now, and for the last 2000 years, Christians can look at these men and see themselves in them. Maybe you're a little hot headed. So were James and John, the sons of thunder. Maybe you're not well educated. Neither were most of the twelve. Maybe you speak before you think. So did Peter. Maybe you need to see to believe. So did Thomas. These men were just like us.

Something else that I thought about as I sat in class this morning is that even though these men went through persecution and, the majority, martyrdom, they held fast to their beliefs. None fell away from Christ (with the exception of Judas). They lived their lives serving the Lord and most died upholding his name. Amazing. John alone lived to see old age and died of natural causes. But even then he died on the Island of Patmos teaching others about Jesus Christ.

The Word of God is so wonderful. It teaches us who he is, who and what his son did, and about so many who have had the same faith that I do today. And when I read about those men and women who spoke to Jesus and held his hand as they prayed before a meal and sat on the hill side listening to his voice, it makes me long for the day when I can do the same for all eternity.

5 comments:

Katrina said...

Amen, Jen! I'm sitting here trying to figure out which apostle I'm most like, but it's hard. I identify with almost all of them on some level! Peter, with his leap-before-you-look philosophy, might be closest. I've been enjoying A's class so much! He's doing a great job!

Ada said...

I think maybe my middle name should have been James&John. Or maybe dads name should be Thunder. :) Just saying...

MarmiteToasty said...

I so wish I was a believer.... I love the togetherness that you all have with your churches..... but, Im to much of a challenge for any god :)

x

MarmiteToasty said...

ps......... its strange though cos all my 4 sons have biblical names.....

x

Jen said...

Mel, I noticed that about your sons' names. And by the way, God loves a good challenge.